Meal Pattern Minute: Creating a Breastfeeding-Friendly Environment
July 29, 2022
Having a breastfeeding-friendly environment at your center or daycare is not a requirement in the Child and Adult Care Food Program, but it is a best practice. Hear from our nutrition education specialist, Isabel Ramos-Lebron, MS, RDN, LD, to learn some tips on how you can create the best environment for breastfeeding parents in your center or daycare.
After you've watched the video, here are some additional things to remember, which you can find in the Fluid Milk section of the Crediting Handbook for the CACFP:
- Breastmilk or iron-fortified infant formular is required to be served for infants during the first year of life.
- FNS grants a one-month transition period for children 12 months to 13 months old to ease the transition from breastmilk or formula to whole milk.
- Breastmilk is creditable at any age in the CACFP.
For more on breastfeeding within the CACFP, check out these resources:
- On-Demand Webinar: USDA National Breastfeeding Promotion and Support Campaign for Millennial WIC Moms
- USDA Webinar: How to Support Breastfeeding in the CACFP
- Blog Post: Breastfeeding Awareness Month and the CACFP
Want to share this video on social media? It's three simple steps!
- Under the video, you'll see three icons that look like a heart, a speech bubble, and a U with an arrow pointing up. Click on the icon with the arrow to open up the video in Instagram.
- Once in the post, you'll see three dots at the top right corner (bottom if you're in mobile). Click on that and select "Share As".
- Choose your platform! You can include a short note about why this Meal Pattern Minute is so important. Then post and you're all done!