- 2 cups (8 oz) frozen, cooked diced turkey (or chicken), thawed 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry, parboiled
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 qt + 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp low-sodium chicken base
- 2/3 cup fresh celery, chopped
- 1 cup frozen carrots, sliced, thawed
- 3/4 cup fresh onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/3 tsp dried parsley
- 1/3 tsp ground black or white pepper
- 1/3 tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium saucepan, add Old Bay seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, brown rice, water and chicken base. Stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until rice is completely cooked.
- Using a strainer, remove about 1/3 cup of the cooked rice. Set aside for step 9.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms, parsley, pepper and basil to rice.
- Cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Puree rice and vegetable mixture for 3-5 minute until smooth.
- Fold in the reserved rice.
- Place frozen turkey (or chicken) on a small baking sheet, lightly coated with pan release spray.
- Bake for five minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Place 1/4 cup (1 1/2 oz) cooked turkey into each bowl, and portion 1 cup of soup over the turkey.
One serving provides 3/8 cup vegetable, 1 oz eq. meat and 1/2 oz eq. grains.
This recipe is courtesy of
USDA Team Nutrition.