- 4 oz sweet potato, scrubbed and washed
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vegetable oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the sweet potato into a small oven-safe casserole dish. Pour just enough water that covers the bottom of the casserole dish. Cover with the lid or foil.
- Bake the sweet potato for 40 minutes or until tender.
- As the sweet potato is baking, whisk the flour, baking soda and baking powder together in a large bowl. Make a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients with the whisk.
- Remove sweet potato and allow to cool. Scoop the flesh out into the large bowl.
- Add the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Whisk together until just combined.
- On medium heat, pour 1/4 cup of batter onto a skillet. Cook for 2 minutes or until it starts to bubble along the edges. Flip and cook the other side for 1 to 2 minutes until golden brown.
One pancake provides 1/2 oz eq. grains