- 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas, keep liquid
- 3 tbsp celery, minced
- 2 tbsp yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 tbsp dry parsley
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard or Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100% whole wheat bread slices
- In a medium saucepan, add chickpeas with their liquid and additional water if needed to cover the chickpeas. Allow chickpeas to simmer on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Using a colander, drain the chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork. Chickpeas should be mashed but you can still see pieces of chickpea in the bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except bread slices, into the bowl and combine until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Scoop 3/4 cup of chickpea salad and spread it on a piece of bread. Add another bread slice on top to make a sandwich. Cut sandwich in half, then serve.
1/2 sandwich provides 1 3/4 oz eq meat alternate and 1 oz eq grains