Nominations Open for the Board of Directors
January 20, 2023
The National CACFP Sponsors Association (NCA), founded in 1986, is our industry’s lead association for the USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP). Our member-driven organization represents over 1,600 members operating the food program across the country. We are committed to making a difference in the CACFP community and serving as the national platform for education, training, and advocacy for the CACFP.
NCA is governed by a member-elected, volunteer board. The Board’s primary responsibility is to develop the widest possible support and community involvement for the CACFP in addition to providing strategic direction, oversight, and financial accountability.
Board members serve a three-year term. Each year, one-third of the board seats are up for election. This year there are four seats to fill.
We invite you to review the responsibilities of our board members and consider your potential contribution to the Association as a member of the Board of Directors. Nominations will be accepted through February 1, 2023.
It shall be the duty of the Directors to:
- Perform any and all duties imposed on them collectively or individually by law, by the Articles of Incorporation or by the by-laws including these policies.
- Attend annual, regular, and special meetings at such times and places as required by the by-laws of the National CACFP Sponsors Association for the duration of each meeting. Attendance at board meetings is defined as full participation in all scheduled board meetings and activities, and board members must attend 1 of 2 in-person meetings.
- Actively participate on any committee(s) to which they are appointed by the Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Set policy and oversee the implementation of said policy.
- Approve an annual budget.
- Approve expenditures not identified in the annual budget.
EXPECTATIONS OF BOARD MEMBERS
Serving on the NCA Board of Directors is an honor and a privilege given to each of us by the NCA membership. This honor is given to us with the expectation that we will do whatever is necessary to accomplish what our Mission Statement says we will accomplish. It most likely will involve spending time in excess of our normal working hours to complete NCA work, and time beyond attending board meetings.
NCA Board members will be expected to:
- Serve as a director and/or an officer and take responsibility for at least one NCA activity. This means performing the necessary work in a timely manner as needed and report on the work performed at each board meeting.
- Respond promptly to correspondence, phone calls, or e-mails requesting input, opinions, and/or actions from the NCA Chair or any other board member making a request. If a request is made while a board member is on vacation or out of the office, a staff member should respond to the request promptly and inform the person making the request when the board member will be available.
- Be available at NCA conferences to assist in any way necessary to make the conference successful.
- Seek to know the history, mission, traditions, purpose, core values, strengths, and reputation of NCA.
- Comply with the Conflict-of-Interest Policy and avoid any conduct that reasonably could be perceived as a violation of that policy.
- Limit discussion of any concerns regarding NCA matters or the actions by the Board or staff to appropriate conversations with other Directors. Communication with persons outside of the Board regarding challenging topics or confidential matters should be in accordance with the direction of the Chair.
BOARD OF DIRECTOR QUALIFICATIONS
NCA by-laws require that all Board members:
- are employed by a CACFP Sponsoring Organization member and have an NCA membership,
- be currently involved in the management of a sponsoring organization for child care homes and/or centers operating the CACFP.
Furthermore, the nominations committee supports candidates who have been in attendance at least one conference and have their CACFP Professionals Certification.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.