- 8 unripe, green plantains (4 lbs)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Cut the ends of the plantains and place 3 shallow slits down the length of each plantain. Microwave for 1-2 minutes at a time until you are able to peel the plantains.
- Peel and cut lengthwise. Boil until soft. Add salt to water. After plantains are soft, reserve 2 cups of water.
- In a large bowl, mash plantains and add 1/3 cup oil and gradually add the reserved water until you get a smooth consistency.
- On medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook onions until translucent. Turn off heat and mix in the vinegar.
- Serve 1/3 cup of mashed plantains with 2 tbsp of onions. Add on a fully cooked sunny side up egg for a great snack!
One serving provides 1/2 cup vegetable.