Meal Pattern Minute: Sour Cream & Cream Cheese
July 21, 2022
Sour cream and cream cheese can be delicious spreads or dips for many foods, but are they creditable within the Child and Adult Care Food Program? Our nutrition education specialist, Isabel Ramos-Lebron, MS, RDN, LD, will fill you in on the answer with this Meal Pattern Minute.
After you've watched the video, here are some more things to consider from the Meats/Meat Alternates section of the Crediting Handbook for the CACFP:
- Only natural, low-fat or reduced-fat cheeses, such as cheddar, Swiss, Colby and Monterey Jack, as well as cheese foods, cheese spreads, cottage cheese and ricotta cheese are creditable in the CACFP.
- Products that are labeled as "imitation cheese" or "cheese products" are not creditable.
For more information on serving meats/meat alternates in the CACFP, check out these resources from USDA:
- Crediting Meats/Meat Alternates in Child Nutrition Programs Tip Sheet
- Serving Meats and Meat Alternates at Lunch and Supper in the CACFP
- Serving Meats and Meat Alternates at Breakfast in the CACFP