Independence Day Resources and Ideas for CACFP Childcare Sites
June 27, 2022
Independence Day celebrations often include fireworks, parades and family trips. It may seem daunting to incorporate this holiday in your CACFP childcare site, but it’s easier than you think. In fact, with just a little planning, 4th of July at your CACFP site can be a blast. Check out these resources and ideas to get the party started.
Independence Day Childcare Activities
Fourth of July activities for children can be as simple as swapping out the playdough in your sensory station for red, white and blue alternatives. Kids can also write notes and draw pictures for military service members, and nonprofits like A Million Thanks can ensure they get sent overseas. How about a song? Here are two themed numbers set to tunes children may already be familiar with:
Fireworks in the Sky
(Tune: Row, Row, Row Your Boat)
Boom, crack, whistle, pop!
Fireworks in the sky.
See them lighting up the night,
On the Fourth of July.
Red, blue, gold, and green,
With fireworks we say,
Happy Birthday, America,
It's Independence Day!
On Independence Day
(Tune: Mary Had a Little Lamb)
Fireworks go snap, snap, snap!
Crack, crack, crack!
Zap, zap, zap!
Fireworks make me clap, clap, clap
On Independence Day!
Looking for a downloadable? Check out these resources:
The Happy Summer Activity Page is not themed specifically for Independence Day. However, the craft idea, water movement games, and recipe are the perfect addition to a 4th of July celebration.
Our Independence Day Activity Page includes a 4th of July craft, a CACFP creditable coleslaw recipe, and more! This resource will require a login and is available for members only.
This Pinwheel Template is the perfect craft to make red, white, and blue decorations at your CACFP site for Independence Day! It’s a members-only resource and will require a login to download.
Independence Day CACFP Snacks
Our recommendations for CACFP creditable 4th of July snacks are pretty straightforward: keep it fresh and summery! Here are two quick recipes that are perfect for hot days, feature summer fruits, and are on theme with red colors!
4th of July Books
Here are our 4th of July picture book recommendations for CACFP childcare sites! There is a huge variety of storybooks available on this topic, ranging from the historical to the poetic. This is a small sample of what’s available, and this list focuses on titles that are appropriate for ages 3 to 7.
- The Night Before the Fourth of July by Natasha Winter
- Blue Sky White Stars by Sarvinder Naberhaus
- F is for Flag by Wendy Cheyette Lewison
- Hats off for the Fourth of July by Harriet Ziefert
- Red, White and Boom by Lee Wardlaw
From songs to snacks to storybooks, we hope this Independence Day resource collection has what you need to plan a fantastic celebration for your CACFP participants. Looking for access to our members-only resources? NCA members enjoy access to this resource and many others as part of their annual membership. NCA members receive many benefits, including the following:
- Member Info Hub & Networking Forums
- Child Nutrition Today Digital Magazine
- Holiday Activity Pages & Resources
- National CACFP Week Member Materials
- Training Materials & Guides
- Nutrition Education Flyers
- Personal 2022 CACFP Nutrition Calendar
- CACFP Nutrition Calendar Training Program Access
- Parent Provider Monthly Newsletter Templates
- Motivation Moment Poster Series
- Monthly Activity Pages
- Five-Hour Training Module
- Discount to National Child Nutrition Conference
- Ability to post to our Job Opportunities page
- Policy & Regulation Updates & Call to Action
- Advocacy in Washington, D.C.