- 1/2 lb green lentils, dry
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Southwest chipotle seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon dried lime juice
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- 12 corn taco shells
- Shredded lettuce (optional)
- Diced tomato (optional)
The lentil mixture can credit as a meat alternate OR a vegetable. One mounded 1/4 cup (#16 scoop) provides 1 oz eq. meat alternate and 1/8 cup red/orange vegetables OR 1/4 cup vegetables.
- Heat water over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Rinse lentils with cool running water in colander. Add rinsed, drain lentils to hot water.
- Bring lentils and water to a boil, then reduce temperature to a simmer. Cook covered, stirring lentils gently and occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes until tender and cooked through.
- While lentils are cooking, combine tomato sauce and chipotle seasoning and heat to 140° F.
- Drain cooked lentils and immediately add to hot, seasoned sauce. Add powdered lime and fold lentils into sauce.
- Add slightly mounded 1/4 cup of lentils into a taco shell. Top with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Garnish with shredded lettuce and diced tomato, if desired.